CIM was formed only 31 years after Canada was founded. The Institute was incorporated in 1898 by an Act of the Parliament of Canada as the Canadian Mining Institute. In 1920, it became the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, and in 1990, the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum.
CIM’s members, convened from industry, academia and government, help shape, lead and connect Canada’s mining industry, both within our borders and across the globe.
CIM is a proud member of the Global Mineral Professionals Alliance.